Friday, February 19, 2010

New Microsoft Certified SharePoint Master in Houston

So I have been very quiet for the last several months.  I have also been very busy.  On February 8th, 2010, I finally completed my last qualification to become a Microsoft Certified SharePoint Master.  My journey started early in 2008 when the program was announced.  I was accepted into the program on my second try.

My first attempt (during the interviews) was a humbling lesson where it highlighted my strengths and it opened my eyes to areas I had not ventured into.  I had been working with SharePoint for about four years around that time.  Through much determination and perseverance, I read the pre-reading list with 81 items and sought out opportunities with my clients to exercise my growing knowledge.

My second attempt was still a humbling lesson, SharePoint is an enormous platform and framework which can be used in so many ways.  The news was exciting, I was accepted into the fourth MCM rotation.

The three weeks in Seattle were brutal and exhausting, but every day I could only think "awesome".  Every candidate and instructor is very skilled, knowledgeable, experienced and on top of their game.  The experience and knowledge shared during the three weeks makes the entire process worth every bit of effort, time and, of course, money.  I have to add that this certification is not for everyone.  It is very difficult, very challenging and it will impact your life and family.  The pre-reading really is a requirement and it still may not be enough. You have to read all of it before you get there if you are to succeed.  You should also experience as much of it as well.  I cannot say enough about the support my family has given to me.  I spent countless weekends, holidays, car trips and rides reading, practicing, discussing and breaking SharePoint in new creative ways in preparation.  The entire last year (and some) has been one of the most rewarding years as a result of this journey.  I hope to continue this journey as we welcome SharePoint 2010 and I look forward to contributing to the SharePoint community.


0 comments: